Friday, June 02, 2006


If you like films, you should sign up with 24Frames. They send you free pre-release tickets for movies. This week, Ju and I with Phil & Janelle from TCH Sharrow, got freebies and went to see United 93. A very different kind of movie.
As one reviewer put it:
It's hard to imagine a less sensationalized 9/11 film than United 93.

It's true. The events surrounding 4th plane on the fateful day of 9/11 are revealed to us rather than exploited. The cast are unknown actors (some are the actual ATC and military personnel who were involved on the day.)
I remember at the time, hearing recordings of phone calls made by passengers to their loved ones as they became resigned to their fate. I wept. The film too brought back the awful reality of the moments before they overpowered the hijackers. What would you do if you received a call like that?
I'm not sure what in the end we are to do with a film like this. Yes, be inspired by the courage ordinary people. Yes, share in the tribute to them. Grieve. But we know what happened. I wonder if there is any need to see it. It's not a movie I would watch again. I'm not sure what the point would be. Maybe watching it and feeling the helplessness and anguish and tragedy is our small tribute to those who died.

No comments: