Friday, December 15, 2006

Full of gospelly goodness

A good evening...A great evening.

Loads of time with my family. Christmas card and letter writing and chatting and praying.

Then popped to a local Curry Night fundraiser for Kashmiri Earthquake Relief Fund at the invite of a new friend (looks like Fidel Castro in the pic!). He came to our Curry Night at TCH this week, so I reciprocated. Always good to meet new people.

Then teachers' group where guys from two TCH congregations grapple in advance, with the passages we teach each Sunday. Always a treat to spend an hour over coffee with bros who want to understand and teach God's Word.
The pic was somewhat posed!
Matthew ch.1 tonight. Amazing that the coming of Immanuel was shrouded in shame.

Then over to @@@@ Kebab House with Martin & Dave to sing M@slim brothers W & W a song that I just wrote.
Waj sings the Sufi blues and wants me to play guitar for him at Sufi events. What do you think I should do?

The sentiment of his songs is great (if you changed the word "Allah" for "Jesus", they'd be fine!) They brim with a longing to know God, our utter need of Him and to be refreshed by him.

I sang and played for him and his brother my (adapted words but my tune!) new song and explained to them the background of the presence of God among his people by mercy alone that we are teaching each Sunday.
O LORD may I dwell in your sanctuary?
O LORD may I live in your presence?

By, by your matchless mercy.
By, by your matchless mercy.

O LORD may I stand in your glory?
O LORD may I see your majesty?


Then a brill 'bro chat' and pray with my dear bro Dave as I took him home. Excited by his excitement at the faith of Hudson Taylor and the challenge to live that out in his workplace.
Both excited at the prospect of the marriage prep we'll be doing together in the new year. A bit differently. We'll have another already married couple with us in the church too to give it a community dynamic and make it more of a conversation within the church rather than a set of a lessons.

Then home to my lovely wife Judith in time for me to make our customary milky drinks before bed. Hers is hot chocolate (I love to serve her in that way) and then watch the next installment of Dickens' Bleak House on video. Old codgers or what?!
Fantastic.

What better evening could a man ask for?

No comments: